Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux shuts off during installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

nag83

Technical User
Jul 23, 2002
US
I have a 500 k6-2 and everytime I try to install Red Hat Linux 7.3 0r 7.1 it shuts off after it formats the hard drive. If I install 7.0 it will install flawlessly. Can somebody please tell me how to fix this problem or just what might be causing it. I also put in new memory and that did not help the situation. The hard drive is a WD 20G and works fine on my other computer. Thanks

I know other people have had that problem with K6 and K7s. What they did was just like you and install an older version then booted the install cd and did an upgrade instead of a fresh install. I think AMD suggests turning off cpu cache memory or something but that didn't seem to work.

I had the same problem with 2 different computers and 7.3, which I traced to a variety of problems.

Do you currently have a Linux OS on your hard drive? If not, install something like 6.2, then 7.0, and install all the upgrades as you go. Once the OS is in place, you can run the upgrade only. I found the K6 not particularly amenable to installing memory-intensive 7.3 as the initial install.

How many partitions are you formatting? No more than 3 and go with the Red Hat recommendations for partition sizes, with your / being last and "fill remainder of disk".

Are you installing from a commercial Red Hat disk or from CD's formatted from the iso downloads? For some reason, my CD-ROM didn't care for fast-track homemade CD's with even the slightest hint of a fingerprint. If using homemade (or commercial) make sure there are no scratches or fingerprints!

I just finished installing 7.3 on an old Pentium MMX 233MHz with only 64 Mb of RAM. I had to start with 6.2 and did an interim 7.2 installation/upgrade before finally running the 7.3 upgrade package. Not time-effective but better than watching my old backup computer puke on the install every time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back