Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linux setup of telnet service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipemole

Programmer
May 9, 2003
IE
linux setup of telnet service?
Hello:
I am trying to set up a Linux system (SuSe 8.0) to serve telnet sessions opened from client machines (Win32 or Linux). Inetd has been started. View of its configuration shows telnet to be Active. Ping verifies connection between server and client.
However, client trying to telnet to the server address sees message, ‘Connecting'. There follows a brief period of inactivity. The message then appears, ‘connection has been lost'. No message prompting user to log in occurs. Telnet to another host from said client does work.
What configuring steps should be added?
Thanks for your time; – pipemole – Wed.9/24/2003;

Is the telnet to get the workstations access to an application, or is this for administration? If its for administration, I recommend going with ssh instead of telnet. If it is for applications, let me know.

Matt J.

Name resolution can cause this problem. Check that the linux box can resolve a name to the ip address of the machine you are connecting from - alternatively, put an entry in /etc/hosts and see if it helps.

Also check that you can connect from itself i.e.
telnet localhost

If you still have no luck then you can try running strace on the telnetd process that starts up.

Scotty

Can you telnet from the telnet server itself? From the telnet server, run "telnet localhost" and see if it allows you to connect. If you can connect this way, then try "netstat -nat | grep :23" and look at the IP that telnet is listening on. If it says 127.0.0.1, its only listening on the loopback interface.

ChrisP
RHCE, LPIC-1, CCNA, CNE, MCSE, +10 others

Hi,

did you installed the package "telnet-server" with Suse Linux installations ??? Suse marked telneting into server as security-whole. So you need to install the package for telnet into seperately. Telnet from Suse to other hosts runs fine.
After installation you need to change the parameter in /etc/inetd.conf (or xinetd.conf) for the telnet and put a # before the line "disable telnetd"
I guess this is the way in 8.0, 8.2 will change the way for activating and SLES8 will have it on a third way.

Hth
Uwe

Re:inux setup of telnet service?
Hello:
The problem trying to get telnetd service was solved. A tip by Hth Uwe on Sep 26, 2003 was on the mark.
At system OS install time, a s/w option ‘internet & server packages' had been selected. At an early stage troubleshooting this problem, a check of /etc/indtd.conf claimed the telnet service was "Active".
Checking later, though, disclosed that, surprise, a telnetd application had NOT been installed with the other packages initially. So, installing it, specifically, after searching s/w packages in Yast2 gui, with telnet keyword, proved to be the key step in resolution of the issue.
Sincerely, – pipemole – ; late Sept.2003;

May i suggest patching the sources on that server before plugging it to the big bad net? There seems to be some new kiddie code for cracking telnetd everyday on cr4ckz sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back