Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybercerber

Technical User
Aug 2, 2002
GB
I hoipe someone can help me.....

I am looking at exprimenting with hosting a few sites on a linux machine... I have got Madrake 8.1 install with the two main GUI's, I need to know what to do next.... I need a web server, and a FTP server but I don't know where to start can someone help me and point me in the correct direction...

<mikey> Michael Holroyd
MCSE Network Engineer
Megabyte Computer Services LTD

- free and excellent web server that runs under unix/linux and Win32.

Newposter
&quot;Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.&quot;

From either the Gnome or KDE GUI, look for Administer your system, Add or Remove programs. Either in the server section or by name, look for Apacheand proftpd.

I can't exactly remember how the GUI's were laid out in 8.1, so if you can't find Add & Remove Programs the way I mentioned above, just open a console or teminal and type 'rpmdrake'. Both of these programs should be included on the distro cd's.

Yes, Apache is the way to go, real easy to setup.

You can run a gui interface to set it up but I would recommend editing the .conf files, so you see what actually gets changed and what it does. Check out and find the apache how to. If you are going to expose your pages to the internet make sure you read up on iptables (not that hard) and setup some firewall rules also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back