Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phi_1.618

Systems Engineer
Dec 9, 2019
CA
I need help in setting up a Linux server on a Windows 10 based machine with ability to switch between both the operating systems
Any help will be greatly appreciated

As you have already researched, there are many ways to do this (dual boot, VM, WSL). Which Google results have you tried and not found success?

As spamjim says, there are options.

One option I've used several times is first installing Windows on a machine, then installing Linux. Most Linux distros will see that there's an OS already installed, and let you carve out another partition for it without disturbing the first OS. It helps if the first OS is a fresh install, because the Linux install will need to shrink the first partition to make room for itself. Once you have them both installed, you will get a prompt to boot one or the other. You cannot switch back and forth without rebooting (although you may be able to access the other OS's partitions).

Another option is, some Linux distributions allow you to install it on a thumb drive, and boot it up only when needed. Depending on how much you want to use it, this can be a good option. Just insert the thumb drive and boot the machine and you're good to go.

To be able to switch without rebooting, look into VMWare or WSL. I haven't tried either of those personally, but the do look like very good options.

Another option is to just get a dedicated laptop or PC for Linux. Linux performs great on even very old and under powered machines. Anyone that's been "playing" with computers for any length of time has some old gear they don't use. Maybe your own, or maybe something a friend or relative has stopped using. Also you can get some pretty good deals on old computers on something like Craigslist.

As far as Linux distributions go, I like the following (just my personal preferences. Other will/may disagree))
[ul]
[li]Ubuntu - Best for general Linux personal use, good Windows replacement[/li]
[li]CentOS - Best if you are learning to get into corporate IT. It is de-branded Red Hat Linux which is the most widely used Linux in big business[/li]
[li]Kali - Best if you are trying to learn Security related things (Network, WiFi, etc)[/li]
[/ul]
There is information at the web site for each of these that tell you how to set them up to "share" a computer. And keep in mind that you can also have more than one Linux sharing your Windows machine. If you have enough disk space, you can put a bunch of them on the same machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back