Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LINUX-SERVER IN A STORAGE-AREA-NETWORK(SAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EBBE

Technical User
Dec 12, 2001
DE

Hi,

i have a LINUX-DEBIAN-SERVER(KERNEL 2.4.18) with two FC-HBA'S(EMULEX LP8000 V 4.12.c)
connected to TETRAGON-2100.

Who knows a PATH-MANAGER-SOFTWARE for automatic PATH-FAILOVER and what must i
do to boot from a TETRAGON-2100-DISK ?

Thanks

Ebbe

To the best of my knowledge, there is no multipath software for Linux yet. The current implementations available for Windows and commercial Unixes cost quite a bit and I suppose there is resistance in the Linux comminity to use licensed, and quite expensive, software.
However, the demand for such software with Linux support is growing, and I do know there will be a version of HP/Compaq's implementation of a multipath driver (SecurePath) available for Linux perhaps this year. This will however be coupled with StorageWorks storage subsystems and will most likely not be supported with a generic brand of storage.
/charles

Thank you for your answer Charles. What a pity !

Ebbe

Veritas currently have DMP in beta at the moment with Foundation Suite for Linux v2.0. Once released Q2/Q3 it will probably work out cheaper than Compaq or any other Hardware vendors solutions!!!

beta.veritas.com

Perhaps, perhaps not. Currently, Foundation Suite is only available for Solaris at approx $8000 for a single license.
Secure Path for Solaris is about $5000 and $3000 for Windows. Linux is usually priced about the same as for Windows when it comes to these types of applications.
/charles

I'm very new to the whole SAN arena, but we use RDAC on our Sun's. I believe there is Linux versions available. Again, we have a completly different setup using mostly LSI equiptment. I'm not sure this will help much, but it may be a path to look down.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back