Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linux/samba permissions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2002
US
I want a share to allow ANYONE to modify the files it contains. I have specified the share via Samba to have 'writeable = yes', 'public = yes', and the corresponding directory on Linux to allow 'others' to 'RWX'.

But when I create a file on in that share, whether it's a new file or a file copied from an NT machine, the file automatically takes on the permissions that allow the group and others read-only access. I have tried copying files from NT that already have 'Everyone = Full Access' permissions, but NTFS permissions probably don't matter to Linux.

I have tried changing the group on the directory on Linux to be 'USERS', thinking 'users' might be similar to the 'Everyone' group in NT, but that hasn't helped.

How can you tell a directory in Linux to, by default, allow RWX to 'others'?

Thanks,

Jon

I had the same problem and share with your frustration. Try setting the default mask of the share, like this...

directory mask = 777

And/Or

create mask = 777

This will give full rights to anyone for any of the folders, subfolders, and files.

Gary
gwinn7
A+, Network+

gwinn7,
I assume you mean to put create mask = 777 in the smb.conf file?

Thanks One Code to rule them all, One code to bind them.

Using 'create mask = 777' did give everyone read/write access to new files. While I was reading about 'create mask' I saw 'force create mode'. So I tried 'force create mode = 777', and this provided full access to files for everyone. I'll have to read more to understand the exact differences. Thanks for the help!

Jon

Just read your responses...

You are welcome! I am glad it helped. Personally, I need to figure out my other related issue though. All of a sudden, the users are unable to access 3 of 5 shares on the server. Ouch!

I hope you don't encounter that problem!

Take care!
Gary
gwinn7
A+, Network+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back