Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux Red Hat 9 Configuration issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

gturrubi

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2003
US
I am new to Linux and had a few questions regarding performance and configuration. First the Linux box is configured to be a Firewall, and VPN. The server was configured by someone else and I am not a Linux expert by any means.

The linux box has two interfaces one for the lan and the other connected to the SDSL modem. We have the linux boxes setup to VPN to and from branch offices over the internet but, I notice the firewall at one the branch offices time out. If I ping the remote linux firewall the request times our but after a few minutes it's back up.

Our remote users are complaining of e-mail woes since now they pull e-mailfrom the central office, both sites are SDSL @ 784k.

How do I view and modify the following.

1. tcp_keepalive_time
2. VPN tunnel status
3. Internet or Interface connection status

I want to ensure that the internet or VPN link is up all day except for off hours.

Thanks in advance,

Gerry

1. /sbin/sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time=120
2. Depends on the VPN software
3. /sbin/ifconfig -a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back