Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux, "port mirror" between two boxes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristiandg

Programmer
Sep 27, 2002
US
Good afternoon, all. I haven't posted on TT since 2010, so please excuse the "extended absence"...

With the push to migrate things to the cloud, there's obviously still a few things you can't pull off like you can on good ol' on-prem hardware, leaving a deficiency that I'm hoping can be filled with software.

I have a Linux (Ubuntu) box that needs a second Linux box to "port-mirror" it's traffic. I've found several things on the internet suggesting this can be done, but no definitive guide to do so. Both machines will have their primary ETH0 interface to the outside world, then with both have an ETH1, which I hope to use as some sort of bridge between them. Basically, a virtual "crossover cable" between them (over IP, but without modifying the data collected).

Since Wireshark/PCAP allows remote capture over SSH, I had hoped someone would have written a virtual ethernet "driver" that basically establishes that remote pcap link in order to stream the traffic to the second box, but haven't been able to find anything.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how this might be able to be achieved? Server 1 would handle all the traffic for the application, and Server 2 merely exists to monitor all the traffic going in/out of that Server 1's ETH0 interface.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back