Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux+ preparation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenhalo

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2008
US
Hey guys,

I am currently studying for my Linux+ exam. My study materials are a year or two outdated, and I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions as to how I can prepare for this exam. Are there any study guides or cheat sheets you guys can recommend? I currently am using the TestOut software for all of my exam prep, including MCSE and Network+, and it seems to be working great so far with my other exams. I am fairly new to Linux, and have been kinda thrown into it about 8 months ago, when I started my new job maintaining and developing CentOS based web servers... So needless to say I ahve learned alot, but I now need to prove what i know. Thanks a million guys (and gals).

Brad L. - MCP

"If the doctors told me I had 5 minutes to live, I would type faster.

Brad,
As with most of the CompTIA exams, just pick up one of the latest books on the subject - I like to go to Borders and look at the different offerings to see how they read and what test software they come with etc.

Then if I have a good coupon, Borders will email you 20% to 40% off coupos almost weekly if you register at the sight, I will buy from them, if not I will shop Amazon or but take into account shipping and any coupon I have for Borders :)

But I always like to check a book out first to see if I like it and the way it READS for ME!!!

Read 1 good book and you are ready for MOST CompTIA exams, if you plan to work with the subject it might be nice to setup several flavors of Linux on a 2nd PC for some HANDS-ON practice.

Just some thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Thanks for that info... The only thing is, I'm not exactly sure what books are current with the exams, even if they are "good reads". Exams in my experience change all the time based on system changes (such as MCSE in server 2k, 2003, or 2k8, or when a linux distro changes or a new kernel is available, etc, etc). If someone could tell me an up-to-date study guide or book or software to help me out, i appreciate any suggestions. Thanks again!

Brad L. - MCP

Brad,

You can go to CompTIA

And they will give you who they feel cover the exam based on type of study material you are looking for. Doing a quick imput for Linux + listed 3 books based on the 2004 Objectives - does not sound like they have updated the exam lately!!!

keep an eye out and see if anyone else chimes in!

Good luck!

E.A. Broda

Thanks a million ciscoguy! I have also did a quick google and found a few different books, some from 2005 and 06, and a couple study guides written in 2007... I'm not sure if the criteria has changed at all in recent years, and basically I don't want to waste my money on a book thats outdated. If anyone knows if the exam had changed, please say so. And Thanks again ciscoguy, I give u kudos

Brad L. - MCP

If I remember right, the exam changed in 2005, but I haven't really paid much attention. I planned on taking it late 2005/early 2006, but my job started changing over to more of a Windows guy, with very limited access to Linux, so never followed through. Glister would probably know. He pointed me in a couple directions when I said I was studying it.

tfg13,

I went to the CompTIA site again since the study material they list is based on the 2004 objectives and here is what they say -

About CompTIA Linux+™

CompTIA Linux+ was launched in 2001 to set industry standards for individuals working with the open source operating system, Linux.

In 2004, CompTIA released a revised exam, which covers approximately 90 percent of the problems that technicians, help desk staff, and system administrators routinely encounter with commercial Linux applications from Novell’s SUSE Linux, Red Hat, Mandrake, and TurboLinux.

The current exam gives greater weight to security, and tests a candidate's ability to implement security options on client systems, configure security-related files, and grasp common security practices.

They do have a link for info on a new Linux + beta exam 2-17-2009 so maybe after they check out the questions on the "new" exam they will release new updated objectives!

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda

That was EXACTLY the answer I was looking for... Thanks again!

Brad L. - MCP

CiscoGuy, as always, have a star for your investigation! Guys like yourself make this forum a success!

tfg13,

Thanks, I try to do what I can do :)

I will NEVER catch Glister - he is the Master and always right on target!!!!!

It all of us that make Tek Tips GREAT !!!! Good questions, good answers and good people!!

E.A. Broda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back