Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux OS and CS1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazzieb

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2009
ZA
Hi Everyone

I am an avid Linux user(specifically for my desktop) and I have also been working on the CS1K for a while. I have always used procomm plus or EMtec Zoc for scripting mundane tasks on the CS1K. Has anyone ever done scripting in linux to accomplish these same tasks?

Kind Regards
BazzieB

There isn't really any changes to make to the Linux after being installed and patched. It's just the OS with the CS1K Applications running on top of it. Not sure what you are after here.

Youneed to realize that the Linux version used has been quite altered for use in this case. You can script but permissions to accomplish many things are buttoned down pretty hard, and doing things outside of the designed ways on a CS1K system can cause irreparable database harm very quickly. Even some of the Linux patching scripts for MAS and NRS network services are only understood by a very few people at Avaya.

Hi @KCFLHRC and @Wanebo

Thanks for the replies but I think there is a misunderstanding. While I used procomm plus and Emtec ZOC to do scripting on CS1K when I used a Windows Desktop, I am now using a Linux Mint destop, I would like to know how to do that same scripting but from a Linux desktop. Obviously I can't use Procomm and ZOC as they are not developed for Linux.

Kind Regards
BazzieB

Vandyke makes a Linux version of SecureCRT. I know that the Windows version is very good and allows scripting in Python, Perl, javascript and vbscript. Not free though.
You might try searching for Linux Expect scripts. I remember posts somewhere (not necessarily here on Tek-Tips) of people trying to use Linux scripting on Nortel switches, Can't remember if they were successful.

We did have some luck using expect scripting but didn't play around too long with it since we were still using Windows machine and could get our hands on Procomm yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back