Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux on Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

aleahim

Programmer
Jun 3, 2002
RO
Hi,

I head that connecting to Internet is more safeing (protect from virus) on Linux operating system than Windows.
Can you explain me why?

Thanks,
Mihaela

Well, you would have to define " safe" .

The main reason that linux is " safer" is that not everything has full control over your machine, only root has. but of course, if you're not being careful with root, you can fuck yourself over faster than the time it takes to say "WAGAZUZU".

It's a very long thing to explain, and it boils down to the way the OS has been made, and how users can interact with the system.

The majority of virii are active X or VB script based, something which isn't supported on Linux.

IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration
MS Certified Windblows Rebooter

I agree wit botadeezguys. Even if you could sneek an executable onto a linux system, it would need to be in a directory that allows excutables to run. Then it needs to have permission to be executable then it has to be executed by someone who has permission to run executables from that directory. There is much more that makes linux a more secure OS but you get the idea.

You want to feel safety. Create simple iptables rules as your personal firewall. Good Luck....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back