Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux not going into graphics mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkmibinm

Programmer
Jun 16, 2004
US
I have a HP pavilion AMD XP laptop.I installed Linux 9 on it.Everything went ok but when i start linux it doesn't go into graphics mode , instead comes up with a blue window with a yes and no button.If I click no it goes into text mode and asks me enter login details.If I press yes there is an error screen which comes up and which has text

XFree 86 version-----
-----
--------

-----
---

Fatal server error
No screen found
it also tells to look up the log file in /var/log

I think your Xfree86 window server needs configuring.
Go into text (console) mode and as root, type

redhat-config-xfree86

See if that sorts you out

Thanks for the reply.
I used this but again the same thing occurs
It come up with
* ddcprobe returned bogus values:
ID LGP0657
Name: None
Horizsync : None
Vertsync : None

Trying with card : ATI Radeon Mobility U1
~
MError . Cannot start X server

I just re-read your first post, I assumed you were using RedHat 9, I guess you are if the redhat config command worked?

I think that this means that your graphics chipset cannot be detected by the auto config routine.

I just found this ...

I wonder if you copied his X86config file it would get you going?? It might not work without the drivers and kernel mods he mentions though.

Hi
Thanks guys for all ur support.I got it working by using generic vesa driver and generic monitor(1024*768)resolution.
Regards
Arvind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back