Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

eanda10

Programmer
Apr 9, 2002
US
I attempted to install RH 9.0 on a machine that has a promise fasttrak 2200 raid card and 2 sata drives I installed the drivers for the drives when prompted now when I go to boot the machine I get a "L" and the machine does not boot does anybody know what can be causing this?

If you just did new installation, perhaps you could go do another new installation using Fedora Core 3? That might keep the SATA issues from bothering you... Patching drivers into RH9 might not be the best way to solve this...

Interesting the upswing in SATA drive issues in this board lately.....

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

I would have loved to install fedora c3 but the promise card only supports 9.0

REALLY???? I'm surprised. From where are you deriving that impression? That sounds more like a kernel driver ought to support that irrespective of the distibution.

I was advised by Promise tech support that they do not support fedora (what they prob. mean is that they haven't tested it )

Well, heh heh, sorry to be a bit sarcastic, but if you're installing something they do support... what did their support say about fixing this?!

In all seriousness - more or less - I'd run with a new distro like FC3. You'll get good community support, actively maintained security updates, and will have a strong likelihood of this RAID running out of the box rather than with some cobbling together and "support".

IMHO....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back