Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linux newbies, which free version to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaccaz

MIS
Aug 10, 2005
HK
hi there, i'm new to linux, wondering which make/model of free version of linux server is easier to start with? e.g. fedora? opensuse? etc

many thx!

I'm a big fan of opensuse. It is very easy to install and use..

Paul
MCSE 2003
MCSA 2003
MCITP Enterprise Administrator

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

When I installed Ubuntu, the GUI did not load by default. That is not going to be easy for a linux newbie.

SUSE Linux was the easiest install for me so far. You have to pay for updates though, but the software itself is free.

down load a few & see how you get on

Centos is redhat enterprise (recompiled form source)
Unbutus are reasonably user friendly & have a large community but I have not tried the server edition.

Linux is Linux it is only the admin tools & package managers thet really change between disto's choose which ever you are most comfortable with

You have to pay for updates though
HuH... that is a new one to me... updating SuSE/OpenSuSE is free and will be free as long as Linux is OpenSource...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I also agree on opensuse and ubuntu. I only use opensuse at the moment, but both are excellent for beginners.

Remember that just because a distro is good for beginners, it does not mean that it is functionally limited. You'll just use more aspects of the OS as you learn more.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

I think trying the latest Ubuntu, OpenSuse, or Fedora is a great starting point, download each and boot from CD and see which you like, blank CD's/DVD's are cheap. After you start getting under the skin of the distro you will find which works for you best
good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back