Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

linux newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

salv236

Technical User
Aug 1, 2003
BE
I am new to linux and at my workplace we are planning to migrate from windows 2000 server to linux and currently looking for books to but in order to learn as well as a quick reference has to cover all components used in linux and common used commands in bourne and other linux shells.

These 2 books look good i am thinking of geting both of these linux cookbook for detailed material on linux and the linux in a nutshell as a basic book. What do people in the forum think about my selection?

I don't know about the Cookbook, but the Nutshell book is an excellent quick reference when you need specific information in a hurry, or a very condensed rundown on a particular topic. It doesn't have much tutorial content; it's designed for experienced users.

the linux documentation thats provide online is good however i dont like staring at a screen most of the day as my eyes can go funny. I need something that covers all the components of linux i.e samba, nfs, cron, apache, xwindows, kde, gnome, essential linux commands e.t.c.

linux cookbook from oreilly is new and is aimed more at the intermediate advanced user. I dont fit into that category as i am new to linux, with the vast amount of books available on linux i just down know which one(s) to go for.

Donkeyhote:

I have two Complete Reference books (not about Linux), and they both suffer from cracked spines. Is this a feature of the Complete Reference series, or am I just unlucky?

I think maybe unlucky Tony,
I've had and used several complete reference books over the years and have yet to suffer a cracked spine!

And may I add... sign up for some list-serves of things you know you're going to use pretty significantly... no matter the book or website, the list serves are where the bleeding edge info is, not to mention where to get info on undocumented features.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back