Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux needed in Saudi Arabia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddhesh

MIS
Jan 16, 1999
US
Hi,<br>
<br>
I am working for a Multinational Company with presence in Saudi Arabia. I would like to use Linux as a file & print server. That should take the load off the NT which is currently doing file, print & mail. I plan to load linux on a Compaq 575 PC (pretty old). I would like to know<br>
<br>
1. Would I be able to load any distribution of Linux on the compaq (since it has problems with some of the newer software)?<br>
<br>
2. How free is free Linux? Do I have to buy Linux? Where would I find it in SA?<br>
<br>
Thanks for your help.<br>
<br>
Siddhesh.

1.) In theory, yes. But... Compaq have this nasty habit of using proprietary hardware in their machines. ie, disk controllers. This might cause a problem with installation, but you should be OK.<br>
<br>
2.) You can download versions of all the major distributions straight from the net. The best starting point would be the various home pages to get a list of mirror sites close to SA.<br>
<br>
If you buy a CD based version you should get nice little extras like manuals, 30-days installation support, and sometimes extra programs. (eg, Caldera ship their full Netware client with their "commercial" version of OpenLinux; SuSE ship StarOffice.) If your PC BIOS supports it, you can boot from most CDs to kick off the installation process. Again, the best starting point for info is the various home pages.<br>
<br>
Sorry, but I don't know where you could get a CD in SA. Good Luck in you search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back