Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux Mail Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

random21

Technical User
Dec 30, 2002
US
hi, I just setup Linux 7.3 server and I need support to receive emails, I can send emails (random@localhost.localdomain) but I cant receive any. thanx

Im sorry..im very new to this "linux" world, I have cable modem, Do i need to buy a dns? I will really apreciate if you can help me just to start making the mail server to work..I can send emails but I cant receive any. thanx a lot

Do you have a registered domain name? If so, you need to go to you registrar and create a dns "A" record for you mail server. All this does is point mail.yourdomain.com to you ip. Then you need to create an "MX" record showing that mail.yourdomain.com handles all the mail for yourdomain.com. If you don't have a registered domain name you can't receive e-mail because of the way smtp works. You can send because sendmail sees you isp as part of the return address but nobody can reply to it.

Hey guys thanks a lot for all the info, Im getting it =0P..Let me ask you something, I have a Linksys router, and obviously is using my wan IP would that interfare w/ the Mail Server? (im saying this because if I put a WEB SERVER people wont be able to see it because the router its using the wan)
thanks again

Check the documentation for your Linksys router, specifically for something like "virtual server" setings. This will let you open up a specific port number and supply an IP address for the service. In this case, you want to open up port 25 and set the IP address to the local address of the computer you have your mail server running on. The modem/router will now forward any incoming smtp (mail) connections to your local server.

The previous comments about setting up a DNS server for your domain also apply. Generally, this also means you must have a fixed IP address (for your modem) so other computers on the Internet will know how to reach your computer and that it won't be changing all the time.

Your router will be no problem at all. Just do as billr1 says and also forward port 110 traffic to your server's internal ip for POP3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back