Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LINUX/ m$ dualboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonun

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2001
US
I was going to set up my server to dual boot b/w LINUX and windows. Can anyone outline the steps in brief/detail.
Links/tutorials would be great too.
Thanks.

just do a search for "dual boot windows and linux" you will find tons of information...just one question, it might be none of my business but why do you want to dual boot a server? A workstation i can understand, but a server?

I am sorry I meant a workstation, no a server.
Just so used to working with linux servers !!
I wouldnt even in my wildest drems let m$ on a LINUX server.
Thanks.

I'm going to assume you have Windows installed and want to createa linux partition. For some reason Windows should be installed first because it will mess up the master boot record if it is installed second. If you have linux CDs, your should have a dir on the 1st one called /dosutils/. Look for a file called fips.exe. Fips will shrink your Windows partition without destroying the data on it. You will need to clean it up 1st and run defrag. Then disable Virtual Memory until after the linux install. Some distros of linux will create the linux partitions it needs automatically. You will just have to tell it to use the unused space. When asked where to install lilo or grub (boot loaders), choose the master boot record (MBR) or you will have problems. I knowthis is kind of brief, but it should give you an overview of what needs to be done.

Actually I have Redhat7.2 installed already. I use LILO. Is there no way to get around this then ??
I can reformat and start with windows installation, but was just waondering.
I will try your advice on another win machine though.
Thanks.

There is a program for linux that works a lot like fips. I never used it though so I can't tell you how good it is. If you are interested, I can post a link to where you can download it.

Yes please, that would be great.
Sorry for the delay in getting back RhythmAce.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back