Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux ipod - playlists from HD folders 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedaver

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2001
US
I'm weary of iTunes' interface to manage my iPod music.

Mainly, I'm angry because I've got my "playlists" stored as folders on my desktop hard drive. Once I import those songs into the iTunes library, any notion of those folders of origin (which would be how I'd create a playlist easily) is taken from detail on the songs... I'm left with a massive list of songs, some with crappy ID3 details that make selection by genre or name pretty useless.

I'm looking at Rhythmbox and gtkpod... anybody know first had if you can drop and drop a folder into a playlist on an iPod using one of these linux-desktop-based tools?

Thanks for being patient, this question's a bit on the margin for a linux forum...

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

gtkpod will allow you to simply add a folder to a playlist. There is even a button for doing this in the toolbar if I remember right.

I actually use amaroK to manage my music, and I'm waiting for them to add support for multiple collections (it already does multiple playlists.) Then I'll be able to manage all my music separately.

Ah, here's some screenshots:

It shows the add folder button clearly visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back