Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux internet kiosk 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bezierstek

Programmer
Aug 30, 2007
FR
Hi,

I have been asked to come up with a plan to make a Linux live cd to run an internet kiosk business. Basically I need to create a cd that will boot up linux to a specific page (language choice for system) that also has a coin machine on it for clients to pay for internet access.

I am fine on the theory but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts of what I might need to consider when making teh disk. I presume I am going to need to create a ram disk for cookies etc. as the machines will have no hard drive installed in them.

Would it be best to have a single hardware platform on all machines so driver issues are not a problem. I know the company I have been asked to do this for has previously had a problem with sound drivers, and also they want to connect printers and usb devices (probably usb memory keys). Also I presume the coin machine will need it's software incorporated into the cd.

This is early days for this project, and I am just beginning to put together a technical plan so any comments much appreciated!

definitely something like that yes. My client will want latest versions of flash etc. integrated into it so the users have a full browsing experience. File system wise they would need to be access only a usb memory stick if they insert one (does linux need different drivers for different sticks?).

having read about various systems already out there, it seems that sound can be a problem which is why I am thinking of a unified hardware setup that can be updated periodically.

Thanks for the links by the way

I'd suggest starting with something like DSL and working up from it, than starting with Knoppix and paring down. USB support should be already in most live distros. I'd recommend either FF or Opera for the browser.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back