Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD5241

Technical User
Jan 17, 2005
US
We've decided to go with a Linux platform for our web server, replacing MS Windows 2003 Server. I'm pretty much sold on Red Hat Enterprise Linux... the main issue is that I've never worked with Linux before.

My two main questions:
1. Do I just format the harddrive on the server and load RHEL on it without any special setup?
2. With RHEL, do I need a separate desktop application? The subscription features on Red Hat's website don't indicate it either way.

Any other advice or what-not-to-do's are welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

The install process for RH will partion (and format) the available disks either using RedHat's default proportions or you can specify your own partioning. This is an early activity in the RedHat install process. Just boot with the available/bought DVD/CD media and press on.

NOTE: This is obviously destructive to any existing data!!

I might point out that if you purchase RHEL you are also purchasing support from RH and they should be answering your questions to your satisfaction. Not that your question isn't welcome here. More to the point is that your are paying for support with that product (unlike other VERY SIMILAR distributions) and you should have a bias towards leaning on that vendor for distribution-specific support.

At least that's my opinion. C'mon back anytime though!

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back