Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux Firewall Config 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimonet

IS-IT--Management
Oct 17, 2001
US
I have built a Fedora Core 2 box and I am running the firewall currently. I only have SSH/VNC/FTP allowed and I am not trusting my Interface card. So basically other than those three ports the system is totally locked down.

I would like to know if there is a way to tell th box that I trust all traffic from a particular subnet. Or alternatively if I can tell it that I trust all traffic from a particular host. I have done some reading and haven't found anything where I can say "Trust this IP" or "Trust this subnet".

If anyone could tell me how and in what file I could accomplish this I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dimo

It's a simple matter of sending packets from your machine or subnet to the ACCEPT target.

For a single machine (assuming the single machine has an IP address of 10.10.10.10 and that your Linux machine's interface is eth0:

iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -s 10.10.10.10 -j ACCEPT

For a subnet (assuming that you want to allow all machines from the 10.10.10.0 subnet 255.255.255.0 network in):

iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -s 10.10.10.0/24 -j ACCEPT

or

iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -s 10.10.10.0/255.255.255.0 -j ACCEPT

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

Thanks so much for the tip. I only have one more question. When you perform this command what file is it writing to. Are there multiple files the firewall reads or just one?

Thanks,
Dimo

The examples I've given are run from the command-line.

What I generally do is create a bash script containing the iptables commands to configure the firewall, then have the init system run the script at boot.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

Dude, check out fwbuilder on source forge. It rocks for generating complex firewall configs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back