Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux email server thoughts: was WHAT bad websites in virus forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noway2

Programmer
May 28, 2009
US
kjv1611,

Yes, I leave the PC running my email server all the time. It is just a small PC with only a network connection, no monitor, keyboard, or mouse. I really don't know how much power it draws. I think on average it may cost be up to $20 a month for the electricity. One option to save power is to use a single board computer as they draw a lot less.

My job situation has me away from home a lot these days. I use the server as my primary means of "checking in" with my home and at least get the comfort of knowing my home is still standing and that the power is on.

I use the server for email, web pages and what not. I typically VPN in using openVPN when I am away from home. It has the benefit of encrypting my Internet traffic when I am accessing from public wifi and gives me connection to printers and other LAN based items.

I was "offline" twice, for about 3-4 days both times and it drove me nuts. The first time, it was the one time my IP changed and I hadn't enabled the automatic update to dyndns. The second time was my own fault as I went to block an IP address that was trying to crack my SSH server and I left the 'j' out of the IP tables command. That hosed the computer up so that networking wouldn't enable. Both times I was out of town. I will run upgrades, even kernel updates and restart the computer remotely, though it makes me nervous to do so.

After being off line, once I got it back up it took about 12 hours but I had a slew of emails arrive from various places that I had 'missed'. Apparently the compliant mail servers will queue things up for a while at least and periodically retry.

One of these days, I may also put a UPS on it, but for the most part our power is quite reliable. The PC will auto-restart after a power loss too. I know this is a odd attitude to take since I work for one of the 4 or 5 (major) companies that makes UPS equipment, but so far it has worked out.

Thanks for all the information. As tempting and interesting as it sounds, I think I'm going to continue skipping the use of any sort of "always on" server of this sort - as a router, email server, etc, just mainly b/c of the elctricity usage portion. I figure, we've already got enough stuff running as it is most of the time. Besides, for my full-time job, I work a standard 40 hour week (45 to 50 if you could lunches, travel to/from, etc). Then for any side work I do, PC-repairs and such, I do 80% of that in my own home. So then aside from church and family things, I am usually at home... so some of the benefits wouldn't be as big for me, as they would for someone with your situation.

Regardless, it's definitely interesting information, and one that I've wanted to tinker with for some time... and MAYBE I will some time anyway... I DO intend to set up a Linux Web Server, mainly for testing various Drupal site designs/setups. I moved our church site to Drupal a couple years ago, and have been loving it ever since. My hope is to eventually learn enough php and such to get to a point to where I can write some of my own custom modules, create custom themes, etc.. mainly just improve on what I do know already, and learn new stuff as well.

I personally came close to using Linux for our "home file server", but b/c of a couple technical limitations on the hardware used, I just gave up.. I may also revisit that very soon, as I'm making lots of changes in that area anyhow. [smile]

Here's a link to the original thread where mentioned, in case anyone is wondering:
thread760-1591423

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back