Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux dual boot options

Status
Not open for further replies.

wabob

IS-IT--Management
Sep 21, 2004
US
I obtained Red Hat Enterprise Linux Work Station version 4 for a toy to tinker with. I wonder which installation option would be best. I currently have two PCs, one with SUSE Linux 10.0 and one with Windows XP Pro.

These are the possible options:

1. Install RHEL as the second operating system for the SUSE PC.
2. Install RHEL as the second operating system for the Windows PC.
3. Remove SUSE from the one PC and make it RHEL only, then load SUSE as the second operating system for the Windows PC. I have added this option because I have read SUSE will "play nice" with other operating systems and RHEL will not.

There may be other options that I haven't listed. Any suggestions?

Experience is a tough teacher.
The test comes first, the lesson comes later...

My inclination is to go with RH & Suse on one computer because they can share many of the same partions on the drive, so files could be easily accessible from either os.

As far as a RH & XP dual boot: I haven't tried it, but I can't think of any reason that there would be any more of a problem with RH as compared to any other distro. RH will use Grub for the boot loader just like Fedora & many others which I have tried & work fine.

Steve

OK. If I do add RHEL as a second OS to my SuSE PC, does GRUB mean I can just insert the RHEL installation CDs without first having to partition the drive?

Well, I tried to get SUSE and RHEL to dual boot. When I was prompted during the RHEL installation with the option to "use available free disk space" and not delete any existing partitions, I tried to select that option but kept getting a popup error. So I ended up having to delete all partitions, RHEL was installed successfully and SUSE got wiped out. :(

I have almost 60 Gig of free hard drive on my XP Pro PC, so I decided to add SUSE as a second OS there. I have Partition Magic 8.0 coming, so hopefully that will help "dummy-proof" the SUSE installation and not affect the XP Pro.

Anyone ever use Partition Magic for this? If so, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, I've use PM to do this very scenario. Works a treat, I suggest you defrag your NTFS partition before shrinking it.
I've had no problems doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back