Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux Driver Wrapper for widwows video drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theEclipse

Programmer
Dec 27, 1999
US
does such a thing exist?

Gateway 400vtx notebook, (video) intel 855 chipset, Ubuntu Linux (Hoary).

[rant]
Here is the reason: I am using a gateway 400vtx notebook with the intel i855 chipset and no matter what I do I cannot get the screen resolution above 800x600. I have scoured the web searching for people with the same problem and found many, but none with a soloution. The 400vtx notebook seems to be specifically nasty.
Here is (as best as I can remember) all the things I have done:
[ul]
[li]installed and configured 855resolution which (is supposed to) manually sets the video bios flag for the correct resolution[/li]
[li]manually set horizSync, vertRefresh and screen display modes in x config file[/li]
[li]re-run and re-run the x config program[/li]
[/ul]

This is the only thing that I have tried to do in linux that I havent been able to and man is it frustrating....the thought of working to write my own device driver has even crossed my mind, but I dont have the time or the assembly experience to do that.
[/rant]

So, is there a video driver wrapper for linux?

Robert Carpenter
Remember....eternity is much longer than this ~80 years we will spend roaming this earth.
ô¿ô

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back