Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux dialer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbojames5645

Programmer
Dec 12, 2003
US
I'm trying to dial out thru my modem from the command line, as i want to setup an autodialer. How do i do this, ie how do i write to the serial device, etc? Thanks for the help

to setup a dialup connection from the commandline, you use

pppsetup, or is it ppp-setup, i'm not sure, i haven't done it in a long while, then you use ppp-go to dial once you have set it up. You can put this command into a simple script, and not have to worry about writing too much yourself.

as for modem/serial devices, I believe they are under /dev/ttySxx where xx is a number, my modem is on /dev/ttyS2 (com3), although I don't use it :-D. Anyway, I hope this helps you out a little bit. As for dialup, you could always put it in an rc.d startup script for connecting on bootup, and on disconnects, you can do some sort of scripting, or probably find something already out there for you. Why re-invent the wheel :)

The weevil of doooooooooom
-The eagle may soar, but the weasel never gets sucked up by a jet engine (Anonymous)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back