Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux Bootloader Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deuce199

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
Hello,

Computer Specs:

Celeron 600
Intel 810 Sound and Graphics

PRIMARY IDE:
2.0 IDE Quantum Hard Drive
1.6 Maxtor Hard Drive
SECONDARY IDE:
2.0 Seagate Hard Drive
CD-ROM

My Problem is, I am trying to load Mandrake 9.0 on it, and it installs perfectly, except It won't load the bootloader into the MBR of the first Hard Drive. I can load Linux with the Boot Disk, but it comes up as no operating system found when trying to load through the hard drive.

I have tried to load Grub and LILO, both of them say they installed properly, also using the rescue mode of the mandrake install disk, re-installs them ok as well, but they still don't install to the MBR.

Any Ideas?? Life is fun, So enjoy it!

Is boot sector virus protection turned on? Probably a setting in the BIOS, but could also be a jumper on the motherboard.

man install-mbr

the install-mbr program is typically located in /sbin

Smah thanks for the tip on checking the BIOS, turns out that there is not only a selection for selecting the boot device (CD-ROM, Floppy, Hard Drive, etc.) but also a selection for selecting a specific hard drive in the system for it to boot when it gets there. the whole time it was trying to boot from the 3rd drive and not the first.

Thanks again smah and maximilln for answering.

Deuce199 Life is fun, So enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back