Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux as Network Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickhills

Programmer
Oct 18, 2001
GB
Hello all, please bear with me i'm still (relativly) new to linux! ;)

Here is the problem, at my work we have a number of routers that connect different offices together (isdn routers, LES & dsl internet connection) The network is largely w2k based with several 9x clients just for good measure.

since each department requires different apps, some of the machines have different default gateways specified for the relevent app. Now however these apps are becomming more widespread, and it no longer possible to have individual gateways for each machine.

what i would like to do is setup a linux box to be the default gateway for the entire network. This machine would then consult its routing table to see which of the routers the packets need to be forwarded to.

is this a realistic situation, does anyone know of any documents that may document this procedure, of give me any hints on how best to go about it. i have tried IPForwarding without much success, so any help will be greatly appriciated

for your info, the machine has two netcards and is running corel linux 2.2.12

thanks peeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back