Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux as a proxy server 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelandakh

MIS
Mar 12, 1999
GB
My Linux firewall (don't laugh) has all ports disallowed by default. I hope.<br>
<br>
SMTP is allowed through port 25. http is also allowed. I need to allow port 21 temporarily but how?<br>
<br>
I'm running Redhat Linux 6.

Not so sure about the firewall side of things, but if you want to test exactly what is and isn't vulnerable on the server, download SATAN. (Info from <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> )<br>
<br>
Does a nice vulnerability test against the IP address you specify (including the machine it's installed on) and presents it all in a nice, UF format that you can view in your browser.<br>
<br>
HTH.

What firewall are you using? If its ipchains, you can add a entry like so:<br>
<br>
ipchains -A input -j ACCEPT -p tcp -d xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 21<br>
<br>
Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your IP address for the interface you are wanting to connect to.<br>
<br>
There are a lot more options you can use also if you want to get really paranoid.<br>
<br>
IPChains is the only firewall software I know, so if its ipfwadm, hopefully someone else can help...

It is ipchains, so that is perfect, thanks.<br>
<br>
Andy - I had never heard of that product but I will be trying it out today. Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back