Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux as a firewall.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgould00

Programmer
Feb 18, 2003
US
i have a red hat 8.0 machine in place as my firewall (running firestarter) and it is working great.... i would like to place my windows 2000 web server running IIS 5.0 behind it as well. i host 3 websites and cannot figure out how to go about this. i dont think i can use port fowarding with port 80 because there are 3 different ip addresses for the 3 different websites. please help!

thanks in advance....

Well, I can think of 2 options.

First one is to do what I do, which is run Apache on your linux box and use virtual hosts and reverse proxying to allow access to your different machines. For instance: is your first machines website and is your second machine website.

second option is to open more ports and use port forwarding to forward different ports to different machines. You'd have to have a way to direct people to the new sites. You could write some java script code which does this based on the url entered or you could just have a list of links for people to click.

I like the first option better, but it will take more time to setup if you haven't done it before. If you decide to go with option 1, read this thread and its links first: thread65-573872

-Venkman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back