Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux apache server using FAT32 DocumentRoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirsle

Programmer
Jan 21, 2006
US
I recently installed Ubuntu Linux alongside my Windows XP. Here are the current partition setups:

Master Hard Drive
C:/ - 40 GB NTFS

Slave Hard Drive
D:/ - 20 GB FAT32
E:/ - 10 GB FAT32
~50 GB where Linux is installed.

On Windows, I'm running an Apache HTTP server, where the document root is at D:\Web (on the FAT32 partition). On Linux, I installed Apache and also set the document root to this location (/media/hdb1/Web).

The problem is that my CGI scripts aren't allowed to run while I'm on Linux. And since the CGI scripts are on a FAT32 partition, I can't chmod them to make them accessible from the Internet.

To test it, I copied one of my web directories (I use VirtualHosts to host multiple domains) to my home folder at /home/casey/Web, and modified the httpd.conf appropriately, and then changed the permissions on the file and the CGI could execute just fine. I just can't get them to execute from the FAT32 partition.

I prefer to keep them on this partition, so that way both Windows and Linux can share the same web files... I don't want to have to copy/paste them all to and from the Linux web directories to the FAT32 one every time I switch back and forth between Windows and Linux.

Is there a way to override Apache somehow or make it allow CGI scripts to be executable from this directory?

Thanks in advance.

-------------
Cuvou.com | The NEW Kirsle.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back