Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LINUX AND NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

estesflyer

Programmer
Dec 19, 2000
US
I inserted suse 7.3 cd 1 into cd rom drive, then boot... i go through all the screens, selecting my region, language, etc... Anyways, i get to the point where it asks me which partition i want to DELETE! I think to myself a moment, then I check the manuals that came w/ the professional package... Everything looks normal in the manuals, and it even shows yast2 giving the option to resize the windows partition so my hardrive will have enough space for a linux partition... I think for a moment, then I checked out these forums and saw another post which mentioned linux not being capable of reading/writing on an ntfs partition. I know that it is possible to read from one, but i've been told its 'flaky'. So anyways, sine i only have 7.28 megs or so of free space on my hard disk, i was wondering if anyone knew of a way to resize my NTFS. I'm not a linux guru, a noob is more like it...
Any and all help WILL be appreciated greatly! I'm wanting to see linux's full advantages over windows, but it will take time to adjust...

TIA

- Rusty - Rusty

i'm not that good with linux, but i sure do know how to resize a partition, of course you'll need software for this,

you'll need PowerQuest Partition magic, I recommend version 5 or greater, I use 7, so it's up to you. Don't use the actual windows softare though, i recommend you install partition first, then make the bootable floppies, i think it's 2 disks,

once you're in linux, do a make xconfig in your kernel and choose File System, and put a Y beside reading NTFS, it's there, linux can read NTFS I'm sure,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back