Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux & SQL server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinmitton

Technical User
Feb 24, 2005
GB
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to raise this on but being an Microsoft focused IT person I'm trying to broaden my horizons!

I'm looking for a Linux server package which either comes with or I can download a SQL server (mySQL or alike) application on too. Something that is controllable through a GUI so I can cut my teeth in the world of Linux and of Course I need it to be free!

In the end I wish to set up a website to pull information from the SQL server, names and address / general text / etc!

I have experience with MS SQL 2000 so the more graphical the better! but if it works out I wish to go ahead and purchase a proper server / software to move things forward.

So your thoughts please...

Thanks in advance!

A common configuration is:
Linux+Apache+MySQL+PHP (aka LAMP)

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Colin

Beware, once you start on systems with a proper command line language you'll end up addicted, once you move to the dark side you never go back :)

On a more serious note, PHV is spot on. this link might be useful

On the internet no one knows you're a dog

Columb Healy

Thanks for that, I have now had a browse around and found ubuntu 7.10 server! I have just installed it with ther LAMP option and Samba?? (for windows to access the file system I think)

Can anyone aim me in the right direction for GUI for MySQL and setting up the Web site? also I know it comes with Gnome and I'm working on getting that going as we speak.

Any good starter FAQ's / walk-throughs for ubuntu I looked at the help forum but a lot of them assum pri unix / linux knowlegde and are not easy to follow!

Thanks again folks

I've had a little look around and found this guide :

Currently got Gnome working and doing updates... then I'll be doing the webadmin function, but I'll save that until after lunch!! Not too bad considering I had no Linux server at 9:00am local time and its 12:00 now :)

Thanks for the guidence so far and I'm sure there will be lots more questions!!

Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back