Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux & Mobile Broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.

YOUNGCODGER

Programmer
Jul 9, 2007
GB

Has anyone got mobile internet working on a Linux laptop, specifically the Eee? A friend has one and she is very happy with it. There is no pronblem surfing the net with a 'hard wire' connection but she would prefer a mobile solution. All the providers she has spoken to say it is Windows only. I suspecrt this is not true as I have see a (allegedly) free Eee laptop wih a mobile broadband package.

Any ideas?

Young Codger [bigglasses]

Assumptions: I would assume you just need to find a driver for your mobile broadband card - have you looked on their website or googled its brand + linux driver? I would further assume that once you find the driver you can set it up just like any other dial up connection with a modem.

One thought also is that sometimes if you can find the chipset your card runs off of but you can't find a driver for your brand, you can sometimes use drivers for another brand that uses the same chipset.

I have a Novatel U727 USB EVDO modem that I use with Ubuntu and Fedora all the time.

My service is through Sprint, and they even have a document with Ubuntu installation instructions that work. (same principals apply to installing on Fedora)

I'm on a Novatel V620 PCMCIA EVDO modem with Verizon Broadband (unlimited access). They just updated the towers in my area to support EVDO along Interstate 40 (I-40 corridor) a few weeks ago. Before that, it was the 1x service which even before the upgrade is waayy better than dial-up and a helluva lot cheaper that satellite.

Gentoo (99%) and windows (1% only to update the coverage data and other nonsense)

Couldn't be happier.

This should works for most EVDO modems.

Check it out. [pipe]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back