Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux Alternative to MS Access 2000? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

smuckers

Programmer
Mar 5, 2002
US
Good Morning:

Linux is new to me. I program in MS Access 2000 and am looking for a similar desktop database program that Linux will support. Many small businesses are not on the web and at the same time have chosen Linux as their operating system. So, I have to ask: Are there any configurations of MS Access 2000 that are workable on Linux? If Access will not work, what database options, similar to Access, are available?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Smuckers

idea: put your access database on another machine that's running Windows. this can be your database machine.

You can connect your Linux machine to the database and use SQL/ODBC like gbongi1 suggested. i would suggest using a Java program on the Linux box that runs the SQL statements using JDBC.

That way you can change your database and keep the Linux/Java interface

there are lots of different databases that could do the job for you. i used the above solution to talk to an Access database and an Oracle database only by changing a few lines of code.

hope that helped.

Thank you.

I believe you are suggesting that I keep my data in the MySql tables while using MS Access 2000 as the front end. I like it. Thanks!

SaltyDuke: Could you jumpstart me on the Javascript code? I know T-SQL and am very familiar with creating system ODBC's.

Thank you in advance for your help and replies.

Smuckers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back