Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux 9 install for FTP server

Status
Not open for further replies.

danno74

IS-IT--Management
Nov 13, 2002
US
We recently purchased a copy of Linux 9 Professional, and we wanted to install it as a FTP server. I'm at the screen where it asks what applications I want to install for the OS, and I was wondering if there is anything besides the FTP server checkbox I should include for just such an install.

Any tips would be appreciated, thank you.

Seems like a lot of money for something you could have gotten for free. But to answer your question, you just need to check the package(s) you want. The installer will check to see if there are any dependencies and add them to the install.

Trust me, I tried to get the free one, it's hard when the FTP server is busy because classes are still in session. Besides, not my money and it's a pretty box with Linux stickers in it :p

I installed it but it will not load -
running /sbin/loader
CPU 0: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004
bank 1: b200000000000115
kernel panic : CPU context corrupt

Should I just reinstall? I tried linux rescue and it gave me the same thing.

I would think you have some bad hardware. Would you happen to have some spare parts you could try swapping your current hardware with?

//Daniel

Hmmm - I must tell you, that does look a little ugly. Did you get any errors during the install? Do you get this error when you are trying to boot the system, or when you are trying to start the ftp server? What type of install did you do? I'm sure you didn't just install the kernel and ftp server. By the way, what ftp server are you using?

I installed on another machine, so it must have been a hardware problem.

As far as what I installed, I used the GUI to install the krenel and FTP, whatever else I selected I'm not sure, I just went through it quick.

Because I selected FTP server during install, does that install some sort of software for me to use, or does that simply config the OS to be a FTP server? I need help with this.

Your error message turn you to a RAM failure or to a CPU failure: try to replace them: RAM first.
The installer selects the packages to install for the FTP server (and other servicies you want) and then you have to activate the FTP, or to make it activate at starttime.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back