Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys WRV54G router and Windows 2000 PPTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

pablo1999

IS-IT--Management
Jan 17, 2005
US
In an office network I'm currently using a Linksys WRV54G router filtering PPTP and GRE to a Windows 2000 Advanced Server running RRAS.

From a remote location I can establish a PPTP VPN connection to the public ip address of the Linksys WRV54G router which takes me inside the office network. I'm able to connect, verify the username and password and register the computer. I'm also able to map a network drive which is inside the office network and view all the folders.

The problem comes when I open an application such as MS Word or Notepad, enter some information and try to save the file to the network drive which is accessible thru the PPTP connection. It just hangs and doesn't respond.

Any inputs?

Thanks in advanced,

rcrane

You don't mention which version of Windows you are running on your remote computer . . .

There was a problem with the way W2K loaded the information presented in the drop down box in the "Save as" dialog. If this is the problem, you would find that Word/Notepad/etc is not really hanging, just taking a very long time to setup the drop down. You may have to wait as long as 45 minutes for the dialog to load.

If it is W2K, try service pack 4. If it is XP, a service pack may help, although I am not sure a similar problem existed in XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back