Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys WRT54G v8

Status
Not open for further replies.

SYQUEST

Technical User
Oct 20, 2002
US
If you want to connect wirelessly, then you need to equip the desktop with a wireless LAN PCI card, and get a wireless Voip phone. Then configure them and the router. You can read the user guide documentation supplied with the devices for step-by-step instructions.

....JIM....

Thanks for giving me advice

But it is too much expensive solution. Is that possible I have another router which is connected with my Linksys WRT54G v8 router? In future if I need more computer to connect so I just have to plug in to the router

please advice me I already spend lot of money on phones

thanks in advance

That Linksys router doesn't do VoIP internally, so how are you planning to do VoIP? Vonage or another hardware service? Skype? which is a software service? You don't need another router plugged into the Linksys, for more devices, a switch would give you wired access, and an access point would increase the wireless area, but unless you need more than 256 device leases at the same time, that little router will be all you need for routing services. What kind of phones did you buy? I hope nothing Cisco based, because if you did, than the first thing you will need is a different router.

Thanks for reply

I have CISCO VOIP Device (ATA 186/188 seriees) & I used it & I connected my device to the router

I want to do it again can you suggest me any access point which compatible with my router and voip device

thanks again to help me

so kind of you

Let me get this straight, you have the router upstairs, and want to connect your phone ATA and Desktop in the basement without running any wires? This could be accomplished in two ways. Ethernet over powerlines with a simple switch, or an access point with a built in switch, like : this is for reference only.

yes

you are right I need an access point which is compatable with my both device

can you advice me any device

thanks again

Just get another Wrt54G and turn off the router section in setup. It will then become a wireless access point with a 4 port switch.

Thanks again

but how I connect it with my router. It's detect automaticly or I have to install some software

Thanks

Do the following:

Assuming first router is 192.168.X.1
Set 2nd router IP address as 192.168.X.2, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway: 192.168.X.1

SAVE settings. Log into router at new IP address

Set Wireless name & security settings SAVE settings
Under SETUP, Advanced Routing - change Gateway >>>> Router
DHCP server OFF

Save settings

Connect 2nd router LAN port to first router in a LAN port (nothing in WAN port of 2nd router)

Thanks

I will try next week. because this week i am out of city

thanks again

Hi

I am sorry i bug you again. I don't know what happend with my Wrt54G router it is not working. I lost its power adopter during moving and I purchase a new power adopter 12-VDC 500MA but it is not working,
any way.

please can you suggest me any 2 routers and how can I make a wireless birdge between them.

or

please tell me an access point or bridge

Note: I have purchased one D-Link DIR-615 today. If this router is ok so I will puchase another router but you have to tell me how I make a wireless bridge

thanks for you help

I don't think that 500ma is correct. Most Linksys routers in the WRT54G family use 1000ma for their adapters.

Can you try a correct one. It WILL make a difference if that is the problem.

Hi

Thanks for replying me

In the manual ifound 'External, 12V DC, 0.5A' Thats why I purchase it.

Thanks

If you want to buy another used router, look on this list for one that is compatible with DD-WRT and then you can bridge it with the other one you have.

Bottom line: you need two functioning routers with DD-WRT.

I should have said you need one regular router and then ONE router that will run DD-WRT that you can use to create the bridge. Not 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back