Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys WRT54G Constantly Needs Factory Defaults Reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

searcherrr

Technical User
Nov 6, 2005
US
We have a Linksys WRT54G (Firmware revision is 4.21.1) that I have customized with various settings including mac filtering, time zone, IP restrictions, SSID name etc..

For whatever reason from time to time (no identifiable pattern of when or why) the internet drops out completely from all 3 computers (2 wireless and 1 wired to it) and the ONLY and I mean ONLY way to get it back (it is definitely NOT the cable modem) is to reset the router to factory defaults via the router admin pages.

As soon as I do that the internet comes back, but since all my settings are now lost, so I immediately restore my configuration to what it was before via a saved cfg file. After that the internet still works for some days/weeks, but it ALWAYS needs factory default reseting again (via the admin pages; not the button).

Its gotten to be very annoying and while I know a power outage DOES cause it there are times like today when there was no known outage. As far as surges go, I have no idea if we're getting power surges or when they'd occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back