Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys WRT160N loses connection with att DSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

lance70

Technical User
Jan 21, 2009
US
Hi, my wife and I just bought a Linksys Model: WRT160N router. I called the ATT tech support when I brought the router home so they could help us with the correct settings on the router and their speedstreem modem. The last few days my wife tried using the internet and it wouldn't connect, she called the tech support at ATT and they told her to turn the computer completely off and turn it back on, that seemed to take care of it, any reason why it would keep doing this?
The tech had me use the bridge mode on the speedstreem, and set the linksys router to pppoe and put my username and password in. It works fine for a while but when left alone for several hours or over night, and you try getting back on the net, it acts up and says page cannot be displayed, thanks for your time.

You will need to do some troubleshooting to isolate the problem. First, you should check the network settings in the Windoz network control panel for your Ethernet connection. Most likely it is set for DHCP, which means it will get assignments from the WRT160N. If the router stops functioning these conditions can happen. One of the control panel windows has tabs or buttons designated Details and Repair. Details should show all the assignments for the Ethernet connection. Repair can be used to force Windoz to ask for new DHCP assignments from the router. See what info those provide. Another tool is to PING the router Gateway IP and see if you get a response.

Most of this stuff should be covered in the user guide that came with the router. You should read it. Try some of those items and note the results, then post back with your updates.

You may need to update the router's firmware also. Linksys is notorious for CRAPPY firmware!

....JIM....

Thank you very much! I will give this a shot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back