Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys WMP11 PCI card problems with Win2000Pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

scopecat

Technical User
Feb 8, 2003
US
I recently had cable internet installed. I have three computers that had not been networked before. I bought a Linksys BEFW11S4v2 Router and two WMP11 Wireless PCI cards. The router is connected to a computer with WIN XP and one of the PCI cards is connected to a computer with WIN XP. These both work fabulous. However, the third computer has Win2000Pro and I cannot get the PCI card to install and hold in memory. I have physically reinstalled it several times as well as uninstalling and reinstalling the software. If by luck I get a signal, as soon as the computer is rebooted everything is lost. Linksys has been somewhat helpful, but we haven't resolved anything. They suggested the card is bad and that I return it to the store. I took it out of the computer and swapped it into another computer and it worked fine, so I doubt if it is the hardware. I have downloaded their updated firmware driver and all it does is crash the computer. Does anyone have any advice for me? I would so much appreciate it.

I have the exact same problem! It seems that when the system reboots the config app and the driver stop communicating. Upon a fresh install of the config app. and driver, the network works great. What could be causing the config app. to think the driver is not installed? I've setup several of these cards before without trouble. Why this time?

If you look in event viewer, you likely will see:

Event ID: 7000
The PCANDIS5 Protocol Driver service failed to start
due to the following error: The system cannot find the
path specified.

Root around in the registry, and find the
following key/value:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PCANDIS5ImagePath: \??\D:\AutoRun\PCANDIS5.SYS

So it looks like it's trying to load the driver
off the cd.

I located the file PCANDIS5.SYS in WINNT\system32,
and therefore changed the registry value to
ImagePath: \??\C:\WINNT\System32\PCANDIS5.SYS
When I did this, the linksys card immediately
connected to the network -- no rebooting, and
as far as I can tell, everything is fine now.

Instead of C:\WINNT\System32 You may find it in C:\Windows\System32, so be sure to make the entry correction in regedit.

Same problem, different OS. Anyone have a fix for Win98?

Saroden,

Is the problem identical in the extent that it works if you place the installation CD in the CD drive?

Or does it just not work at all.

Interestingly, I have the same problem on windows xp. The card was working fine on windows 98, but I can't get it to work on windows xp. It keeps saying device cannot start. I'd appreciate if anyone can give me a hand.

Non-administrators under XP by default cannot initiate or modify a service.

You have two choices:

You can use the XP "Runas" feature to run the client with Administrator priviliges;

You can use gpedit.msc under XP to permit 'Everyone' to start and modify services.

Download the driver package from the Linksys website. Unpack the driver set to a folder. The file is likely under the AutoRun subfolder, or the Win2000 subfolder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back