Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys wireless with XP getting 4201 error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

weogarth

MIS
Sep 8, 2003
US
All

I've got a HP Omnibook XE3 GC laptop (800MHz) that is cardbus functional using a Linksys WPC54G card with a WRK54G wireless router.

I've had a number of issues with this setup and finally, after reading dozens of posts on here and following their advice, seem to have something decently stable and functional.

I am concerned, however, by the continual appearance in the System Event Log of Event #4201, sometimes several per minute.

Here's the stuff I've done, hope I didn't forget anything:
I'm not using the Windows Zero Config, did LinkSys install only.
I've done the recatalog command and redisabled the WZC which was turned on by it.
I have updated the firmware of the router.
I have the latest driver for the card.
I have the router on Mixed Mode with no WEP.
The card is on Infrastructure
I'm using channel 6.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular situation? I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

Gary

aznluvmc

I'm not sure how I can possibly thank you for that post that is both singularly unhelpful and nitpicking and in a mere 10 words, no less!

Ok, so it's an informational message, not an error, my HUMBLE apologies. That doesn't help me figure out why my machine sees fit to notify me about 100 times an hour that it's connected to the network. Lest you ask 'why do you care?', let me explain why. I care because somewhere down the road I might have something that IS an error that may need me to access something in my system log from several days back and I'd prefer not to have to bump the thing up to 10-20 megs size in order to retain it. OR, it might be a symptom of another problem that has yet to present itself.

1. Make certain in the adapter driver properties that any mention of using "802.1x" authentication is set to disabled. Otherwise, you will invite a momentary disconnect/reconnect as authentication is tested.

2. I would choose channel 1 or 11. Most wireless routers come configured at channel 6, and there may be an interfering routing on channel 6 nearby.

3. I would use the native XP services. Upgrade to XP SP2, apply the wireless hotfix: And disable the Linksys client software, or remove it.

4. This will remove the Event notices:

If you are convinced you have a strong signal with low noise, then disable media sensing.

Thanks bcastner, appreciate the thoughts. I'm a bit curious on the XP v Linksys stuff because I've seen posts in other places on the net that strongly state the opposite is the case, which is why I set it up with Linksys and not using the WinXP stuff which is the Zero Wireless Config, I believe. I'm hesitant to really mess with it because the connection itself is actually working, which is something it hadn't been doing before I stripped everything out and started from scratch. However, I will be checking items 1 and 2 in the hopes that it drastically reduces the event log traffic.

I am also hesitant to do #r as that seems to prevent the searching for networks if I were to snag the laptop to a coffee shop or something for the afternoon, but if push comes to shove, I'll look at it again.

Thanks again for the post, have a great weekend.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back