Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys Wireless router WRT54G v2.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtevensorrison

Technical User
Feb 22, 2006
GB
Hi there

I have jst been asked to open a port on our wireless router (Linksys Wireless router WRT54G v2.2), however no matter what i try i cant seem to access the routers web based home page!

i know the usual default ip address is 192.168.1.1 but i did not configure this router and i cant seem to gain access t it and im running out of time to get this done!

The router has a modem connected to it, it then connects to our switch and supplys the network, i do not want to reset it incase it knocks out our internet access!

can someone please give me some ideas as to how i may access this home opage our open this port up?

i work till 5 but may be able to access th net tonight and answer any questions people may have!

Thanks in advance

Steven

On your machine (that is connected to this router), do an ipconfig - what IP is listed as the gateway?

the IP listed as the default gateway is 192.168.16.1

once this is put in to the address bar i am prompted for a username and password but no matter what i put in it just reappears minus the username and password!

if i do a reset, will this have any major affects on our network??

Unfortunately, there's no way to tell completely. Once you reset, it will be back to factory defaults. You can set the router back to 192.168.16.1 & it will assign DHCP addresses in that range. But what you don't know is if there are any port forwarding (do you have any servers or services that are accessed remotely?), static address assingments, special firewall configurations & the like. There's really no way to know those settings without accessing the router's admin interface or some sort of written documents defining the network configurations.

Would the person that set it up have left behind any kind of document that might contain the password? Maybe even taped to the bottom of the router (wishful thinking).

have you tried
admin or admin5
as the password with no uersname?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[noevil]
Travis - Those Who Say It Cannot Be Done Are Usually Interrupted by Someone Else Doing It; Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions;

travs69 - it seems it's aready been reset & mtevensorrison is now trying to get services working again thread96-1388782

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back