Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys Wireless router WRT54G v2.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtevensorrison

Technical User
Feb 22, 2006
GB
Hi there

I have just been asked to open a port on our wireless router (Linksys Wireless router WRT54G v2.2), however no matter what i try i cant seem to access the routers web based home page!

i know the usual default ip address is 192.168.1.1 but i did not configure this router and i cant seem to gain access t it and im running out of time to get this done!

The router has a modem connected to it, it then connects to our switch and supply's the network, i do not want to reset it in case it knocks out our internet access!

can someone please give me some ideas as to how i may access this home page our open this port up?

i work till 5 but may be able to access th net tonight and answer any questions people may have!

Thanks in advance

Steven

Do an ipconfig/all from any computer and it should be your default gateway.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

I've tried this and still i have no joy - i am prmpted but cant access anything - - if i do a reset will this reset the routers IP address back to 192.168.1.1

Do you actually receive a prompt? It is possible that the default userid/password has been changed. Also are you attempting access through a wired or wireless connection? It could be your router is configured to only be accessible through a wired connection.

yes i receive a prompt but the IT guy who worked here before me has set the username and password and has not left a not of it!

does anyone know of anyway of accessing these routers with an admin password except the old admin password trick??

a reset usally will set the default ip and the default pw.

Ive done all this, now my ports are not working and im in serious trouble here, i have internet access all through the network but no one can dial in and we are not recieving anything coming in!

any ideas

im currently on the phone to my isp trying to get my static ip info till i configure that!

You'll have to open the ports on the router to allow the inbound traffic. How are they accessing the network from the outside?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

I have opened the ports Dave

i need this iisue resolved by 5 or im for it!

any ideas as to why my ports wont accept anything coming in!

what resources need to be accessible inbound and what ports have you opened?

i need a vpn open -- i have opened 1701 to 1723 and various other ports!

nothing will open, i have a static ip, do i need to use this or will dhcp be fine??

thanks people, i need your help in this stressfull time

Steven,

3Q's
- Does the business use a single or multiple static IP?
- What type of internet access do you have (e.g., cable,
dsl, T1, etc)?
- What is the equipment the Linksys (WAN/Internet) is directly connected?

I am guessing your Linksys may be mapped with a static ip and running in a DMZ mode. You need to determine if the DHCP and NAT are turned ON.

now gotoDOS, I want you to enter:

ipconfig/release (usually outputs 0.0.0.0)
ipconfig/renew
ipconfig/all (post your info)

- post any errors that you may have with either of the above DOS commands, else the Linksys is likely OK & entering in the default gateway listed above (ipconfig/renew or /all) is the IP for surfing into the Linksys router.

If you can get in, check the menu Status tab and verify your WAN info. While you are inside the Linksys, you should also verify the VPN ports are opened..

P2E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back