Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys VPN setup and connected but can't ping

Status
Not open for further replies.

centralcity

Technical User
May 1, 2004
US
I set up a VPN using two linksys routers using the guidelines on the Linksys website. Made the connection fine, but I cannot ping the other router nor any of the computers on the other end. Neither can I see the other computers in My Network places. Running WinXP Pro on all machines, "Workgroup" is workgroup name on both ends. One router uses 192.168.1.x, and the other uses 192.168.2.x. As I understand the Linksys instructions, I should be able to see the other end without any additional software or settings. Is this correct, or did Linksys not tell me something?

centralcity,

Like "ChicagoTechNet" posted, ipconfig -all on at least one computer in either network would help.

I would concentrate on being able to ping one of the distant routers private IP's through the VPN (ie. if you're on the 192.168.1.x side, ping the router using it's 192.168.2.x address).

Here are a couple of things to check:

1. Make sure the PC you're trying to ping from is using the Linky for that network as it's default gateway.

2. Not sure what Linky device you have, but you might try lowereing your MTU to 1392.

3. How do you know you "Made the connection fine"?

Post back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back