Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys router DHCP failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

domecat

Technical User
Jul 26, 2004
US
I let the Linksys router provide DHCP service in the small business networks that I support (all <15 computers). Recently in three different places the peer-to-peer networking failed and they were fixed by resetting the router. I know it is a DHCP failure because on spot checking a PC it will have a random looking IP address that windows apparently generated for itself. Is there a problem with this approach? I give the router a range of 50 addresses to use. Most sites will not have a windows server to provide this function.

If the router works ok it should be a sound solution. No need to install a windows server. Verify that the computers are connected ok and that the router works. Othervise you might want to replace it. My guess is that your clients got an IP like 169.254.x.x. This is the range from which the os will get an IP if the computer can't reach the DHCP server.

/Eyas

Before you replace the router, try flashing the BIOS first. You can download the latest firmware from Linksys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back