Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys loses connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjaker

Technical User
Jan 6, 2003
US
My BEFRS41 router seems to work for the most part but it loses connectivity on a daily basis. I'm not sure, but I also noticed that whenever another PC in the house gets turned on, mine loses connectivity. All PC's are set to DHCP. The router is set to give out 10 addresses and there are only 4 PC's in the house.

Secondly, when I lose connectivity, not every PC in the house does. I can still ping the router from my PC, but when I try to open the console, it won't connect. I would think that if I can ping the router, I can get to it to manage it.

To regain connectivity, I just go power cycle the router and within a minute, all PC's, including mine, are back on the net. It doesn't really make much sense to me. Anyone have any ideas?

Mine does the same thing. Don't know why. Support couldn't help.

Chris

I have been doing a lot of research on this problem. I am not sure, but I think what may be happening has something to do with the Master Browser settings on the computers. I think that whenever another PC on the network comes online, it wants to become the Master Browser.

I have disabled the Browser service on my PC, and will have to test. If it still happens, I will probably disable it on the others in the house too and see if that makes a difference.

I will keep working on it until I get a resolution, because there is one.

does the router loose connection or the pc's can't connect to the internet? i had a prblem where there was a wireless connection but no internet, someone told me that the router wasn't accepting the license update and so to flash the router.

I had this exact problem myself. It ended up being a problem with eMule and Azureus hogging all of the connections that the router will allow. I suggest, if you are using any sort of file sharing program, to set the number of connections to 75 maximum. Just a thought, maybe the fact that it loses connection when another pc turns on is coincidence. :)

BC

My router did the same thing for about a year. Got worse each month until it died. Purchased a new one, works great now.(WRT54GS)
I also changed my cordless phone from 2.5ghz to 5.3ghz, reduced interferences.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back