Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys home routers & DNS issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBNservices

IS-IT--Management
Oct 6, 2004
US
I have a Linksys router at home that I stopped using as my DHCP/DNS provider. I had setup a machine to work on that was Suse Linux, so I thought to also work on DHCP and DNS I would use that for my home network.

Problem arose about a week into this experiement when internet connections started dropping. Pages could not be found etc. Usually it takes just a couple of re-freshes and the pages comes up.

If I re-start Bind, then the problem goes away, but slowly creeps back up again. Now the weird thing is, this is not an issue with Linux or Bind. I tested out using a Win2k server as the DNS and the same problem arises. It seems that for some reason over time computers here just lose the DNS connection or are not connecting properly to translate addresses. I have no issues connecting via IP address though. For instance my at work will come up with an error, but no issues if I just use the servers IP address.

Logs seem to indicate no errors. More ever, right now what I have set up is almost exactly as is configured at work where I have never had any issues. The only difference is at home here I have a cable connection with a Linksys router, where at work I have a DSL with a PIX firewall.

Any ideas?

Found out last night that the issue was the "updated" firmware to the Linksys router. The latest 2 revisions started causing more and more erratic behavior. Finally the router was re-starting on its own every 10-20 minutes. After having numerous problems getting the original firmware back on the router, I eventually got the original firmware back on and it is now functioning properly. No DNS issues to speak of.

I know Linksys and the like are basically cheap low-end hardware, but this is ridiculous if their firmware which is meant to resolve issues, only creates an unstable device. Obviously quality control is not an issue when developing and deploying firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back