Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys E1200 router "Internet" port

Status
Not open for further replies.

protocolpcs

IS-IT--Management
Mar 29, 2003
US
I have a DSL modem connected to the "Internet" port on the E1200 router. The modems IP address is 10.0.0.1 and the Linksys is 192.168.1.1 and I can manage and ping the modem from any workstation on the network. I didn't think that was possible but every E1200 that I have setup lets me through. Is it broken? Whats up?

1) Your DSL modem (which you did not identify) is a router. If it was just a modem, it would not have an IP Adress.

2) One function of any Gateway router is to protect some small network from some larger network. (usually the internet) They do not usually protect the larger network from your equipment, so you can see out to 10.0.0.1 just fine.

3) Should you need port forwarding, it is going to be twice as hard setting it on two router like you have. would help you demote a router into the wireless access point you should have chosen.

I tried to remain child-like, all I achieved was childish.

Tsar of all the Rushers

The proper way to approach the situation you have is to put the AT&T Modem/Router into bridged mode. Tell us what model you have and then I can tell you if it's possible and how to do it. Bridged mode allows the AT&T device to act like a dumb modem without the wireless & router features, thus giving you the outside IP address to your real router. You also avoid double NAT and make port forwarding easier.

I am using an Actiontec gt701d on a Centurylink service, and it is in bridge mode. It is working fine but other routers I have used would not allow me to see the modem and manage it unless I plugged the modem direct into my pc. I didn't think the two IP subnets could see each other at all. I guess this is handy but just didn't know why the Linksys E1200 would allow this. I tested two units and they both do the same thing with different modems so maybe Linksys designed it that way or that model is broken?

Why did I think it was an AT&T? Now I see the point of your question. I've also seen this (unable to manage modem without being plugged into the actual modem). Never really thought about it other than "that's the way it is".

If the 'modem' (first router) is at 192.168.1.254 and the second router is at 192.168.1.1 then you can't see the 'modem' as the PC thinks you are trying for a local device and never sends the packets to the second router. Since 10.0.0.1 is not in the local subnet, the PC sends packets to the second router and it recognizes they are not local so sends them to the 'internet' port where the 'modem' is.

I still have no idea why you thought you needed a second router.

I tried to remain child-like, all I achieved was childish.

Tsar of all the Rushers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back