Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linksys DSL Router & Pacbell dynamic IPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

zap5150

Technical User
Apr 13, 2001
US
the setup: Linksys DSL router, Pacbell DSL plugged into the router (with dynamic IP address obtained from Pacbell at modem connect)

anyone know of a way to get the dynamic IP address Pacbell issues their users from outside of the user's network? more specifically, are there any programs capable of obtaining the IP address given and automatically emailing it on when it changes

Thanks

jeter,

thanks for the reply

that works when I'm in house (like pinging my account using ping -a and the ip address listed under the wan section), but I still need a way to send this address out via email automatically whenever it changes for when I'm away (i.e after the connection is lost & router automatically reconnects); ever heard of a program that will do this for those of us poor folk without a static IP address?

I looked at several sites and I can not seem to locate
what you are looking for, Sorry !!! Maybe next time.. J.Fisher CCNA
Jeter@LasVegas.com

You should look into 'dynamic dns service' from You install a small program on your computer that monitors your isp supplied ip address and reports changes to TZO at time intervals you specify. TZO supplies you with a domain name of your choice (example: yourname.TZO.com) Whenever you want to contact your computer from a different location, use the address yourname.TZO.com and TZO forwards the request to your current assigned ip address. The service is free for a month, but if you want to keep it, it's $24.95 a year. I think it works great.

thanks jeter & rdish41,

That link pushed me in the right direction. I found offers the same sort of service for free if anyone else has a similar dilemma. The clients page under "Dynamic DNS" lists the client programs available. There is a client developers link if anyone is interested in programming their own client. The best client for the LinkSYS that I found so far is KVTek's PostPro (used to be called yiPost). Here's the link
Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back